Thursday, July 9, 2009

Safety Day!

Our instructor told us yesterday that because it seems that half the class will be missing it tomorrow and because she too will be out of town and so therefore not in class, we could do the scheduled "safety" class today.

As you may recall from Sydney's swimming lessons, safety class is where the students are asked to put on a life jacket and jump into the deep end of the pool. When the idea was presented by our instructor, I understood exactly what it would require us to do - I don't so much think everyone else knew what we would be doing - and as a result, happily went along with the idea.

Well today finally rolled around and as usual when we were let in for class, we all headed towards the same direction as always - the 4ft end of the pool and proceeded to get in. A couple of minutes later, Vanessa starts swimming our way looking a little confused and eating a cookie in between!?!

She explained her confusion - for one she thought that she was supposed to have kids in her class, which of course, we weren't and then when she realized what we, the adults, would be doing, remembered she didn't tell us that we would not be in the same part of the pool for this class.

So, she tells us to get out and go and put on some life vest and head towards the 6ft end of the pool. By this point, my nerves were really starting to get the best of me, seriously.

The next, oh, 15 minutes would be near-death, heart stopping, for all involved. There are a total of 7 people in the class. Elisa, yes, like me and either her brother or husband, not quite sure, Lucero, Patty, Liz, Erica, and I. Elisa and the only boy in class know how to swim, so what they are doing in class is beyond me. Anyways, they jumped in without a problem. That left Lucero, Patty, Liz, Erica and I.

After a bit of convincing, Lucero jumped in, so now it was down to the sisters, the major component of the mortified clan. It was so funny watching us down by the edge of the pool just looking at the water, then each other, trying to convince the next one to jump in - all the while staying longer on solid ground.

We must have stood up there at least 10 minutes before I finally stepped up and decided I'd be the next one to take the plunge in. It still took me about 5 more minutes, but on Vanessa's suggestion, and a happy thought in my head, I just jumped in, just like that. As I had been told, the life vest didn't let me down and brought every pound of me right back up. I was so proud of myself, really, really proud. I never thought I would do something like that in a million years.

Okay, so now it was down to Liz & Erica. Again, we waited, and waited, and waited, and then it seemed that Liz would be the next one in. Something funny happened while we were waiting for her to go in. There was an instructor with a student on the outside lane from us and she was apparently counting him down to take off or something. Anyways, all we heard was, "4, 3, 2," and by this point, Liz was all worried and asked almost shaking, is she counting me down? The other swimming instructor and of course all of us, bust out laughing so hard it hurt. It took quite a bit of convincing, let me tell you, but she finally took a deep breath and in she went. Now I must say that Liz deserves a round of applause, heck, a party - this is a major accomplishment for her. It really is a big deal, I'm so glad she worked up her nerves and was a trooper.

Last one standing was Erica. She stood there for a long time and all she kept saying was that she couldn't do it, which is what all of us were saying as well and eventually did. Well, after much debate, she decided she would not jump in and instead sat down on the edge of the pool and went in from there. Now to give her all the credit she deserves, I respect what she did. Your fear of whatever could lead you to do or not do things that you couldn't imagine, and to conquer a fear, you have to be completely sure of what you are going to do, so way to go Erica, next time will be your turn to jump in and go first.

Okay so once we were all in, it was back to basics and now not only was Liz the only one not moving from her comfort zone, the edge of the pool, but Erica, Lucero and I joined her as well. We were finally helped to the shallow end where we normally are by Vanessa and just hung out for the last 10 minutes of class.

Since we won't be in class tomorrow because we will be celebrating Patty's birthday at dinner, I have to brag that I along with everyone else survived the first week of swimming lessons.

I can' wait until Monday! :)

No comments: