Tuesday, August 30, 2011

CrossFit - Introductory Foundation Class: Day 1

Today, I officially began my new adventure towards my goal of a healthier lifestyle. I am looking forward to once and for all attain the goals I have wanted for myself for so long. Class was very interesting and required some workout on our part - I know that real quick, there will be no time to stop...as Mr. Selders put it, "There is no resting time until you are done," so I expect to put out 110% everytime I show up for class.

Here are some of the things I learned in no significant order:

CrossFit is a performance based program and not a weight loss program.

MWOD = Mobility Workout Of the Day (everyday when we show up to class, we will look to see what is on the "menu" for the day and set out and do it. Routines can range from running, to jumping rope, etc.)

DROM = Dynamic Range in Motion

Nutrition is important because it helps improve performance.

Homework for the day = Read our Foundations Program Manual For New Athletes & Whole9's Nutrition Guide (created for CrossFit Garland) - prepare questions as I read my manual and bring them to the last Introductory Foundation Class (Thursday, September 8th)

Air Squat (Performance Points)

(1) Body weight should be distributed through the heels (back 2/3 of feet)
(2) At the bottom of a squat, the creece of the hip should be below the
knee (The reason for this is because you are trying to activate more
muscle fibers and it also helps the mobility of the knee joints)
(3) At the bottom of a squat, maintain lumbar arch torso
(4) Knees are in line with toes

**Important - Always make sure to finish a squat with the hips open**

Front Squat (builds on air squat)

**Same four points**
(1) Have bar on "rack" or bar position
(2) Place the bar close to the throat or "inside the pocket."

*Tidbit* Used 15lb ball & bar for routines.

To Do List:

After each workout, make sure to place equipment back in its place.

No comments: