Thursday, September 11, 2008

America Remembers 9/11, Heroes, and Victims

I can still remember it like it was just yesterday. I was a Junior in College living in Kinsolving and on my way to class that morning when as usual, was watching the Today show with then host Katie Couric and Matt Lauer.

Out of nowhere they changed the footage to breaking footage of the first World Trade Center tower burning from the impact of the 1st plane.

All you could see at the bottom of the screen in red letters were the words, "BREAKING NEWS."

Because it took a while for things to register that this was not just a freak accident but in fact a deliberate terrorist attack, footage kept rolling live and I was sadly able to see the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower.

I remember picking up the phone and calling the first person I could think of that would actually be watching what was going on, my friend Brea, who then lived across the street in Littlefield. We were both just in shock.

Shock would be the word to describe the sentiment that just hung around campus for days. Everything just seemed to be so gloomy and everyone looked like zombies.

This is by far one of those days that I will forever remember where I was and what I was doing - engraved in my memory forever.

For as much bad things that the world can think of the United States and its actions, I truly believe as a country we do a lot more good and this kind of attack really just hit us at the core.

No comments: