Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Wizard of Oz


Being that I read, listen to and watch the news practically 24 hours a day, I got to find out about something that I thought was super cool.

You see this year is the 70th Anniversary of the making of "The Wizard of Oz." The original movie debuted in movie theatres in 1939 and to mark the anniversary this year, the film is becoming available on Blu-ray.

Every so often, in honor of these milestones, select theatres will show these classics in theatres for the people to enjoy them in that setting. They decided to do this for this movie. When I heard about it, at first I was a bit hesitant because I immediately thought about taking Sydney but wasn't quite sure how she would react to being in the theatre and if she would even want to stay still.

I took my chances and hoped she'd enjoy watching it on a huge screen like she had months before when one Sunday evening TBS played it back to back and she sat through both showings without putting up too much fuss.

We headed out to the movies in Mesquite (AMC 30) and bought our tickets. To my surprise and happiness, Sydney was very intrigued during the whole movie, reacting at times to some of the scarier scenes, like when the evil witch is coming down the road to take Toto, or when the munchkins start flying to get Dorothy.

I was so glad I took the chance and took her to see it. When she gets older, I'll be sure to tell her that she went and saw that movie at the theatre.

No comments: