Monday, October 5, 2009

Texas State Fair 2009!

Every year the kids get a day off from school and get a free pass to go to the State Fair of Texas.

Last year I took the day off but because it was raining and a little cold, we had to forego the fair and ended up in an arcade in Mesquite instead. I was hoping that luck would be on our side this year and allow us to go and have a good day at the fair.

Apparently I made someone really happy as I got my wish. Like it is my custom, I can and will do things by myself but I always like to invite people to come along for the fun, if they so wish. The victims this time around were Erica, Dathan, Tyler, Rebecca, la Sra. Adriana, el Sr. Gustavo, Adrian, Andrea, Sydney poo, myself and Jazmin.

We decided to take the DART since this year they opened up a "Green Line" that will drop you off right in front of the entrance to the fair. We figured with the drive and parking, it would be just about the same. The whole ride took about an hour and a half. We got to the fair around 12:30.

By then, all the food vendors were already up and going and well so were our tummies! We all agreed that we'd make our tummies happy and get some of the great fair food (everything FRIED)! I as usual, wanted to have a Fletcher's corn dog with a cold drink and as a dessert, a funnel cake...yummy.

We all finished eating and had our snacks from nachos, to caramel apples, to funnel cakes and goodness knows what all else and then decided to start the trek towards the rides.

The kids got on a number of rides, so many I lost count. They all seeme to be having a great time the entire time we were there, which just this alone, made my day and made me feel like my mission was completed - that everyone had a good time.

The weather I must add was also gorgeous! It was sunny and just perfect...not too cold, not too hot and only sprinkled for like 2 minutes late in the afternoon.

We finally decided to call it a day around 5 o'clock and headed back towards what we thought was the waiting area to get back on DART. Well, leave it to us to get all lost and end up walking out of Fair Park and headed towards ghettoville (MLK Blvd).

We quickly figured out that we were headed in the wrong direction and headed back towards the fair grounds and luckily spotted and officer. I kindly asked her for directions and she was so cool to vouch for us to the people checking your tickets to the fair and tell them we had just left and some of us (the kids, mostly) did not have our tickets and that all we wanted was to go around the park and go out the main entrance so we could catch the DART back home.

We finally found our way back out and waited for a little bit for the train. The ride home was a pretty quiet one, I think by now everyone was a little worn out and just ready to get home and relax.

It was definitely a day to remember! I know I'll be doing this again next year!



This was the brave group excluding Erica who was off to the side purchasing train tickets: Dathan, Angie, Rebecca, Tyler, Andrea, Sydney, la Sra. Adriana, el Sr. Gustavo, Adrian, and Jazmin.



Silly Sydney poo & me!

On the train on the way to Fair Park!



Sydney, Dathan & Tyler.



Rebecca.



La Familia Nava: la Sra. Adriana, el Sr. Gustavo, Andrea and Adrian.



The entrance at the Fair.



The water fountains right at the entrance to the fairgrounds.



Big Tex.



Sydney & I in front of Big Tex!



The world's famous Fletcher corn dog!!! YUMMY!!!



The group enjoying their corn dogs!!!!



My favorite dessert....funnel cake!!!



Sydney being thrown in the trash by el Sr. Gustavo. :)



The swings!



The kids waiting to get on the swings!



Dathan & Tyler waiting to get on the Conquistador!



The Conquistador!



The Wind Surf!



The Sra. Adriana was the only courageous one to ride it!



The kids got into this house type maze deal and at the very end before they came out, it was full of soap bubbles...they had a ton of fun!!!!



Angie was covered in the soapy stuff.



The girls rode this log ride...this is one of those rides that as it's coming down, it splashes water off to the sides. It was a tad too cool to get wet, though.



Can you tell they enjoyed it?



Random picture with the ferris wheel on the background!



Andrea & I!



Erica & I.



La Sra. Adriana & I!



Dathan, Tyler & I.



Rebecca & I.



Angie & I.



The Texas Star is the biggest ferris wheel in the US, if not in the whole world. This is the second time that Sydney and I ride it.



This is the little basket you ride the ferris wheel in....some people might not like it too much...very small and it rocks a lot.



Sydney & I riding above the fairgrounds.



View from the top of the ferris wheel!



When Sydney was in PPCD at Weaver, we came out to the fair every year and this was a must do stop. Little Hands on the Farm is basically a mini-fake farm. The kids collect different items throughout the farm and then at the end they get to "sell" them back for some snacks and a drink. It was quite a hit with all the kids, big & small, alike.



Our little farmers!!!



"Off to farming we go!"



Collecting corn kernels.



Collecting peaches...straight from the tree.



Collecting eggs from the chicken coup.



Checking out her collection so far....good job little farmer.



Getting ready to plant some seeds.



Hard at work!



Sydney even got to ride a John Deer tractor!



Selling back her items.



The cutest farm animals ever!



The kids loved the bubble house so much, they went back for a 2nd time.

WE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!!!!







Sydney thought it was pretty hilarious.



Getting ready to exit the fairgrounds and head home...or so we thought we were headed home...we kind of got lost and exited the wrong side of the fair.



Waiting on the train. We all were really exhausted by now.

No comments: