Thursday, December 18, 2008

Jennifer Gale

Okay, here is a brief explanation of how I first saw Jennifer Gale. I was in my first year at UT and it was move in weekend.

I didn't have much so my "moving in" was pretty simple and I had everything basically organized in 1 day or so. Of course not knowing where things were around campus and still needing to purchase my books, I headed towards the Co-Op on the Drag.

I don't quite recall the name of the intersection but it was the street right before you get to the Co-Op where I first saw who I would later find out to be Jennifer Gale.

She was wearing a long black trench coat (which was quite scary due to Columbine happening months earlier and the whole trench coat correlation), and was rambling on something about politics and had some sign that said "Vote for Jennifer for Mayor."

You know, I could have been okay with what she was doing since she wasn't bothering anyone, but what she did next was just bizarre and even more so what was underneath. Next thing I knew, this person is opening up her trench coat and exposing herself in lingerie. I swear I could not believe my eyes.

Remember I had only been in Austin 2 days and quite frankly was a little, okay, A LOT, nervous about the whole deal. I thought to myself "are you for real?" I seriously could not believe my eyes - I realized at this precise moment that I had definitely led an extremely sheltered life - not being exposed to what I'm sure others considered normal.

Anyways, as the semester went on, and from watching the news and hearing others on campus, I came to know who Jennifer Gale was.

Well, yesterday morning as I was making my rounds of reading the news, I discovered this article below that said they had found Jennifer Gale dead in Austin. I was seriously shocked - kind of one of those weird feeling things. Although I just have this very vivid picture of my first of several encounters with Ms. Gale, she was a person that was in her own strange way trying to do for the homeless.

I just had to share my own experience with her.

*************************************************************************************

Jennifer Gale Austin fire officials say a body found just north of the University of Texas campus Wednesday morning is that of perennial Austin mayoral candidate and former Dallas mayoral candidate Jennifer Gale.

Gale, 47, is a transgendered homeless former Marine who has run unsuccessfully for numerous public offices in Austin and Dallas.

The body was found in front of the First English Lutheran Church in the 3000 block of Whitis Avenue where Gale was staying, and officials told KVUE News they feel certain the body belongs to Gale.

Austin police say the medical examiner's office has not yet identified the body.

Fire officials say a crew responded to a 9-1-1 call and found the body. The crew performed CPR for at least 30 minutes, but they never felt a pulse.

Gale has gained fame in Austin by repeatedly running for multiple offices, including mayor, city council, governor and Congress. Gale is also known for attending municipal hearings where she has presented arguments in song. Gale had planned to run for Austin mayor in 2009.

Gale ran for Dallas Mayor in 2007, but garnered just 554 votes, .78 percent of those cast.

Former Austin Mayor Bruce Todd released the following statement on news of Gale's death:

"Jennifer was a constant presence at various public hearings, forums and meetings in Austin and displayed a great love for and interest in our city. Her well-known catchphrase was Keep Austin, Austin. While Jennifer no longer is here to physically trumpet that slogan, her personification of that expression will never be forgotten."

No comments: