Thursday, May 21, 2009

"Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs"



We had decided we'd do the last show, which again, according to Ticketmaster, would be at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday. I know better now NEVER to listen to them - they really have no clue about what's going on and charge you extra fees to give you bad information!

Right before we were getting ready to leave, Frank mentioned that one my friends, la Sra. Adriana, had expressed interest in going. I went ahead and called her and she said they wanted to come along with us.

We left the house at 4:45 and headed towards downtown. I had realized that morning that the parking ticket ($10) that I had paid for the night before was good through 5 a.m. on 5-18, so I guided Frank to the same parking lot and saved ourselves on parking this time around.

We started walking towards the museum only to find ourselves with yet another long line of people waiting to purchase tickets. For a brief moment, I seriously wanted to cry just at the thought that I might not get in. The museum people started going up and down the line trying to get people to purchase yearlong museum memberships and get in instantly to the exhibit instead of risking waiting in line only to be told that tickets were sold out.

We decided to stick it out and finally got up to the ticket booth. I was able to purchase 2 tickets (adult) for the 7:30 showing which coincidentally was the last showing. My friend as well got tickets for her husband, herself and her daughter.

It was just 5:30 and we were a little hungry so we started on a hunt for some food to eat. Next time we'll now that all the food venues on a Sunday near the Arts District are closed I guess by that time, as after finally finding the place where all the food was supposed to be at, we come to find out all the business are closed down for the day.

We decide at 6:00 p.m. there was still maybe some time to drive out and find something. The nearest restaurant we located was a Burger King. Though the location wasn't the safest one (seriously, you could get killed 2 for 1 here), we got our food and satisfied our tummies and then headed back. Finally after what I thought would not happen, we went towards the entrance to see the exhibit. I have to add that we were able to pass Sydney off as a 5 year old - I tell you being small/petite has it's advantages!

We waited in yet another line for maybe 10 minutes then got placed into a room where we were notified of the rules - no cameras (which sucked royally), food or drink. We watched a 90 second video that explained what we would be viewing. I swear it was the coolest set-up ever. The screens (3) were up in the sky so everyone was looking up at the video in this dark room. When the video finished, everyone moved their eyes from the screens and the next thing we realized was that directly in front of us, was a statue of King Tut himself all illuminated in a beautiful blue. At this moment, I just got a big chill down my entire body - I knew I was in for a great exhibit and was just happy I was there to see it.



*************************************************************************************

These were some of the pictures I took before going into the museum for the exhibit.



El Museo.



These were all around the museum directing the way towards the King Tut exhibit.



Finally, my ticket into the darn exhibit - let me tell you, it was well worth every penny!



This was painted right above the entrance.



A cool display outside.



Being silly - I can't believe I fit in between this metal thing!



Just like an Egyptian!!!!!!



"Our little secret - between the King & I!"



Frank, Sydney & I! Look closely at Sydney - she passed as a 5 year old and got into the exhibit for FREE!



One of my souvenirs from the exhibit.



A small replica of King Tut's tomb.

No comments: