Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

Hello & Happy Easter to all of you my blog readers!

My family and I actually decided to celebrate Easter at my sister Eva's new house out in Celeste but instead of doing it on Easter Sunday, we opted for the Saturday before.

We decided to do this for 2 reasons: Eva's new house is a bit of a drive away from civilization (kidding Eva) and there was word that the weather would not be too pleasant (as is always the case) on Easter Sunday. We also were planning to cook from beginning to end most of our meal and figured instead of being exhausted and having to go back to work on Monday, we could have Sunday off to relax.

Boy, writing this as we speak on Sunday, I couldn't agree it was the best idea ever.

We went out to Eva's new casa (15 acres of land out in Celeste) that she just purchased and basically invaded and took over her house from about 10:45 a.m. - 6:15 p.m. or so. The drive over there was quite interesting. We managed to not get lost, though at some point, we thought we might be and for a brief minute, feared for our lives - so much so, even Rebecca cried for a little bit. Funny!

We made everything from potato salad, frijoles a la charra, rice, deviled eggs, fajitas, grilled chicken and corn to some chocolate cake and banana pudding (thanks Ruth for the hard work on the desserts).

Once we finished putting all of that together and sitting down to finally enjoy the meal, we went on to the next step - hiding all, gosh, I don't know, around close to 200-300 eggs out in a small portion of her land so the kiddos could go "egg crazy."

Unlike other years, Ruth offered up the idea to include $5 worth in the eggs, either using quarters (which everyone did) or dollars. We determined that all together somewhere in these Easter eggs there was a total of $40.00 out for grabs for the best Easter egg hunter/huntress.

Because of their slow pace, CJ and Sydney were given a heads start of about 5 minutes to avoid the mass rush of the rest of the kiddos (Rebecca, Dathan, Tyler, Angie, Joanna, AJ and Nikki). Honestly, it did not make much of a difference, even though I was "guiding" Sydney to the locations where I hid our eggs - that kid still doesn't get the concept - FULLY!

The bigger kiddos were finally let loose and off to the races they went. I would have to say they were out and about searching for a good 15 minutes and then when we decided they'd located all the Easter eggs, we gathered them together to see how their collections had gone.

Overall they did pretty good - in both money and candy - of course. Sydney Poo got only $1.50, but she wouldn't know the difference...she was more interested in the candy. I think the one that got the most money was Tyler with like $6.75 - go Tyler...he seemed happy.

We had all the kids count their money to determine if in fact all the eggs had been located and for some reason we were figuring that about $10 was still out there somewhere. It was so funny because we sent them on the hunt again and though they came up with a couple of more eggs they had missed - the $10 were not found.

If in fact we all put the money in the eggs that we "claimed," some snake will be crawling the fields with quarters if they locate the eggs and eat them, as snakes tend to do.

Overall we ALL had a good time. Albert brought along his 4-wheeler and some motorcycles that kept the kids, and some of the adults, entertained during the day. I must admit, I actually rode around with Sydney on the 4-wheeler but at a very cautious speed.

I guess I was going that slow, that my peeps decided to make fun of me saying that Eva's riding lawn mover moved faster than what I was on the darn 4-wheeler. WHATEVER! I was more concerned for not having to have the nearby (or far away) volunteer Fire Department come out to her residence because of an injury on one of us.

Considering that this morning (Easter Sunday) it was storming, I'm glad we went with the Saturday idea and that it turned out well and everyone went home in 1 piece.

I'll be posting pictures here soon!

Enjoy!





On a 4-wheeler for the very first time.




Look at us go!




Look at her.




"Hola!"




Tia Elisa & Jr.




Among some pretty flowers.




Posing for the camera.




Sydney & I.




Taking a stroll.




Resting.




Relaxing.




Eating some food to have energy to go hunting.




All the eggs that we brought for the kids.




Around the fence post.




An egg on an old tree bark.




I got creative in hidding the eggs...this one I put in the headlight of Eva's truck.




Searching, searching, searching.




"I think I see one."




Looking for those eggs.




"Look mama, I found one."




Nikki & Joanna going at it.




Angie, on the hunt for that money.




Dathan, what's up?




Look at Tyler....that boy, hiding those Easter eggs in his pocket, too!




Poor CJ, needs some help from mommy!




The hunters and huntress' after a good Easter egg hunt!




This was Sydney's $$$ catch for the day....a whopping $1.50.




Relaxing.




CJ....showing off his candy coated blue mouth!




"I want to go, too!"




Hey, she didn't go hunting for any easter eggs, who's basket is she raiding? Cheater!




After a long day's hunt!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter to you, too!