Friday, April 24, 2009

1st Grade Presents: "If Frogs Made Weather"

by Marion Dane Bauer. Arrangement and Music Selection by Terri Knagg. ************************************************************************************* Last night we headed out to Sydney's school for the Spring Musical. At first, Ms. Padden had suggested she wear the outfit Frank bought her for her class picture, then Ms. Regalado suggested she not, because she pointed out that Sydney would be sitting in the front row and if she did not keep her little legs together, she might expose her little mermaid undies to the crowd.

So I went during lunch and got her the cutest outfit ever, well, at least I thought so. I headed home after work, after making a marathon run to CVS purchasing diapers and dropping those off with CJ's babysitter and then going to pick up Dathan & Tyler from another babysitter and hauling butt to my casa to get home and get Sydney dressed in time to be at school by 6:30 p.m. (the running around is a different story - luckily my other nephew, Jr., is okay).

I got home and of course when Sydney saw her new shirt, capri's and shoes, she went ecstatic and reacted just as I thought she would..."Mine mama!" I got her dressed and off we were to school.

I've got some video that Frank recorded with the camera, and I'm going to try and attach those videos here, but let me just tell you, Sydney did a fantastic job. We were all so proud of her. It's amazing to watch her do all the hand gestures and moves of course, from memory...she started off at first looking off to the sides to seek some guidance, but after a while, she was all on her own - of course sometimes off beat or pace, but nonetheless doing a great job and making us proud.

The program was broken up into 6 songs and unfortunately we did not record the first skit - trust me on this one, it was hilarious....only my daughter, as Liz would say. Below is a breakdown of the program:

Sydney poo before the program. Of course I gotta get a picture!



Sydney and Daddy!



The stage. The stuffed toys to the left of the stage were brought by the kids that participated in the program.



The program.

Sydney waiting patiently and being silly!



She was a "snowflake" in the program along with her other classmates.



The cast.

Ms. Knagg - the Music teacher.

This delightful little tale describes what the world would be like if certain animals determined the weather. All these creatures are being watched by some children who decide that if making the weather were up to them, they would enjoy everything the animals had chosen.

If frogs made weather, morning would sprinkle. Afternoon would drip. Night would whisper, whisper to the brimming ponds, "Did you know that frogs make weather?"

If weasels made weather, fog would cling to the ground, grip the grass. If weasels made weather, mist would hide the slink, conceal the pounce........BREAKFAST!

If robins made weather, trees would always be budding, the grass fresh and green. And the melting snow would set every worm a wiggling.


Dance: Singing in the Rain

If cats made weather, sun would slant in every window, spy beneath each bush, warm a spot for a tight-tucked nap, warm a sport for a S-T-R-E-T-C-H.

If flies made weather, every day would be hot, hot, hot. All the food would rot, rot, rot. And every fly would buzzzzzzzzz.

If turtles made weather, lighting would crash and smash and sizzle. Turtles would snap their doors shut and smile in the dry dark.




Sydney poo moving to the music....this was the funnier of the skits but we did not record it. :(



"Singing away."



I really wish we had recorded this skit....she was doing some crazy stuff and was ALL into it, too!



Yeah for me! So proud of herself!

Thunder Storm

If bats made weather, the sun would sink, the wind would still. Every mosquito would hum its fill. And all the bats would be full of mosquitoes.

Rain, Rain

If hawks made weather, the wind would blow and blow, rising and rising, swirling and swirling. Hawks would stretch their wings and drift, drift down.

If geese made weather, leaves would flare in the bright blue air. Frost would tip the lawn. And the sky would sigh with the lonely cry of "Going. Going. Gone."


The Wind Blew East

If polar bears made weather, snow would pelt. Snow would sting. Snow would pile and drift and cling. If polar bears made weather, we would never see spring

Snowflakes

If I made weather, I would call the slanting sun to my bed. I would tiptoe through the fog. I would blow the day clear with a mighty wind.

I would leave my footprints in the damp new earth and twirl the leaves to their beds. I would bask in heat and rejoice in snow.

I would snuggle in my mama's lap to hear the lightning roar. And I would stay, counting the drip, drip, drip.

When the sun slid down the sky, I would greet the sweet nightfall.

If I made weather, WE WOULD HAVE IT ALL!



Being a "snowflake."



Taking a bow!

Look! Look! The Sun Woke Up!



Sydney & Momma!




Momma, Sydney & Dad



Dathan, Rebecca, Tyler & Sydney.



Mr. James & Sydney. Mr. James is a student at Naaman Forest doing student teaching.




Ms. Padden & Sydney.



Ms. Regalado (TA) & Sydney.



Omar & Sydney.

After the program, we headed out to McDonald's to treat the kids to some happy meals and some playtime.



The kids wanted to make it a point for the wizard (in the middle) to come out. They thought it was pretty funny when I sat down to take the picture and it ended up looking like I was wearing the wizard hat.

Okay, so I wasn't able to successfully upload any of the videos. I'll have to seek some assistance and try again.

No comments: